This first image is a work in progress that … given time and a lot o’ lovin’ will possibly become a realistic rendering of the stationary chair in the center of the studio. Until that day, I will be using all of the techniques Nell explained in class to turn a piece of paper into a chair -a.k.a: plumb lines (horizontal and vertical), proportions, angle lines, etc.

First and foremost, I made halfway points on my paper (with the string) in relation to the halfway marks of the actual subject.

Next, I used the string theory (plumb lines) to create the lines that make up the base of my chair. I lightly sketched the other lines and angles that make up the back of the chair… hmmm those were widely off, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I left those lines, so that I would have a basic idea of where they were supposed to go and turned my focus to the base of the chair for the next hour.

Day two was more or less correction day. Once I left the building the first day of class, I will admit to feeling slightly frustrated with my creation. Bad Bad attitude! I only had to catch my breath and reconfigure. Starting anew Monday, I felt astonishingly different about my drawing. I felt attached. Ok… this is not just a piece of paper, this is a part of my mind, thought process, and oh yes even love. Drawing has always presented problems for me because I paint in a non realistic fashion, however this process is so messy and fun that I feel as if I have room to make mistakes, muddle things up, and correct them later-like in my paintings.

During this class we circled up and shared discrepancies with each other. I found this helpful because I gained more knowledge about how to fix incorrect angles and proportions just by listening to my peers.

I subconsciously knew the problems with my piece. In the back of my mind I heard:

-Your chair is leaning forward while simultaneously falling backward… your angles are not right.

-Your proportions are off.

My next door neighbor Kirstein says:

:: Back of the chair looks correct angle wise.

:: The angle of the seat is too severe.

:: The proportions are slightly incorrect.

I struggled with how to correct these flaws. Then Nell came over (enter a chorus of angels singing beautiful notes) and helped me gather my wits and re-measure the distance from the seat of the chair to the base of the chair (and everything else in between). I measured, erased, drew, and viola it looked instantaneously more like the chair that was in front of my eyes!

Over the weekend, I visited the gallery in order to continue working on my piece. I sat and looked at the chair for 15 minutes and then went to work on correcting some proportional flaws in my artwork for about an hour and a half. Interestingly, I found that by shading the negative space in between differing angles and lines, I was able to get a better visual sense of my work and transform it into something entirely different!

 

 

 

Advertisements